Monday, October 17, 2005

Farewell, Not Goodbye
Forgive me for stepping outside of the mini-comics world for a moment, but there’s a passing today that I must mention. Barring an unexpected last second change of heart, today is the last day of Graeme McMillan’s Fanboy Rampage. A half a dozen blogs will pop up that try to replicate the FBR recipe, but without Graeme, there will never be another FBR. I’ve always thought of Graeme as this fearless explorer going to all the dark corners of the comics internet and bringing back odd or damaged specimens for the rest of us to gawk at. Message boards like The Bendis Board, Millarworld, and the John Byrne board are fun places to visit through Graeme, but you sure as hell wouldn’t want to live there. With Graeme on duty, you didn’t have to. He did the work for us. He was our explorer, our host, and sometimes, when things got out of hand, he was our parent.

I guess I’m a little sad, because Graeme’s not just a faceless guy on the internet, he’s a good friend. I know how much work he puts into the site and I know how much he loves it. I’ve known Graeme since pre-Rampage when we both wrote for a comics website called Broken Frontier. There I learned how much I enjoyed Graeme’s work as a writer. It’s one of the reasons why I twisted his arm into writing a bi-weekly Grim Tidings column at Comic World News. And I know Graeme, he’s unable to not write about comics. He’ll pop up somewhere else like a crazed whack-a-mole, even though I’m sure there are some (those who have found themselves on the receiving end of his wit) who wish he would just go away. He won’t. He’s too valuable to us. Anyone who loves the work of Kevin Huizenga, but can also appreciate the first issue of Infinite Crisis has got to have something to say to the rest of us.

I’m going to miss laughing at the Rampage. Thanks Graeme, you lovable bastard. You’ve entertained us more than you’ll ever know.

No comments: